Wednesday, December 9, 2015

What Jin Xing says

     
Jin Xing talks on her Jin Xing Show.
  1. Critical Review 
  2. Jin Xing's Interview with the Time Out:
  3. She said...
  • "I didn’t know if I would be good at singing or dancing; it was the stage. I loved the attention."
  • "After three continents,’ I knew the kind of modern dancer I wanted to be."
  • "The first time my mother gave me life was in China, the second time I give myself life, it’s Chinese."
  • "If I had known the risk, I never would have done the surgery."
  • "But it was a sign. You’re asking for a huge present from life – do you deserve it? If it were easy, anyone could do it, it was a test. I passed. I deserve it."
  • "‘I went from being the best male dancer to the best female dancer, if society can accept it, that’s great. Otherwise, they can take their time."
  • "Some nasty Chinese people say, 'Do I call you Mr or Miss?' I say, 'Whatever you want, it’s not my problem.'"
  • "I realized how daring and how challenging my company has been to the cultural establishment, my team and I were on a 'mission impossible' and we did it!"


Jin Xing started to show her interest being on the stage since she was little. She began to be trained in China, studied modern dance in America, and traveled to dance in Europe. After all of these experience, she has a good sense about modern dance. She always want to be a female. Then when she was 28 years old, she decided to do a trans gender surgery. She appreciates her mother, however, she respect her mind and life. Her left leg's nerve was damaged and she was told by the doctors that she was not able to dance any more, even walking was going to be a struggle. Then she went to oriental clinic to do the electrotherapy every day. She can walk and dance eventually but cannot jump as high as before. She loves to dance that is why she said if she knew the risk, she never would has done the surgery. She thought that is a difficult the life set for her. It makes her either stronger or weaker depends on if she could pass it. She went through the difficult, and then she thought because of that pain she went through, she deserves a better dancing future. She is really confident with her dancing skill and used to confess that she is one of the best modern dancers in China. However, the transgendered statue sometimes makes her feel kind of annoyed. She knows it takes time to make people understand that it is her personal choice to change the gender, what is more important is her dance. She change her gender is because she wants to explore her inner soul and be herself.
Modern dance in China is really a new style. The most popular dancing style in China is Chinese ethnic dance. China have 57 ethnic groups, and each of them has their own unique style of dance called ethnic dance, that is also the dance Jin Xing learned when she was a kid. However, even though the Chinese ethnic dance is different from modern dance, it gives beginning dancers a strong foundational background of dance. Jin Xing's dance company as the first independent modern dance company in China, it acts a huge impact for the dance development in China.

                     

5 comments:

  1. I watched "JinXing Show" several times. Her distinctive style, special character leave a great impact on me. Her performance involved varies topics. Compare with other talk show, "JinXing show" gives plenty of good viewpoints. Jin Xing talked about cultural phenomenon, and when she talks about emotional problems, she can analyzes from both male identity and female identity. In addition, all kinds of problems that she talked about have a sense of substitution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people know her because she had changed her gender.Many people does not know she is a great dancer. I did not even know that her dance style is modern dance. I really admire her courage and life attitude. She is really successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she's not only great dancer but also she is a TV presenter. she talks many things and always tell the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like her style and her way of living. Expressing self is an important topic. She is respectful for her life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating that she worked with Martha Graham and Merce Cunningham!

    ReplyDelete